Where do the students stay for the summer?
All the students live in a large New England style Guest House located at 20 G Street. It is in the center of Hampton Beach, one block from the beach itself. The men and women live on separate floors. You will be rooming with 1-2 other students with bunk beds, dressers, and a clothes rack for your belongings. Box fans are available for each room as well. You will also be sharing kitchen and bathroom facilities with others on the project. Cookware and utensils are provided. (Bring your own recipes!)
How does transportation work / how do students get around?
Parking is limited at 20 G St. but cars are needed to travel to various job sites and churches in the area. You may want to take that into consideration when deciding whether to drive or fly to project. If you can carpool with others that would be great too. Students/passengers who ride with drivers to work, church, etc. generally tip their drivers for gas, about $1 for each local trip.
What’s the weather like?
The first 2 weeks of the mission can be chilly & wet. The rest of the summer, the days are hot and humid. The house can be cold or hot depending on the weather. There will be fans available for each room just plan to pack accordingly.
Where do you do laundry?
There are local laundry mats in driving distance. Students are also assigned a church and host family. You will spend Sunday afternoon’s doing fun activities and laundry with your host family.
What’s the schedule like for the summer?
The summer will be rewarding, exciting, and fun, but we won't pull any punches—the schedule is demanding! Ministry activities are at night and on weekends and will include small group Bible studies, weekly meetings, evangelism, serving in local churches, and more. You will generally be working 5 days out of the week.
What should I pack?
Here are some ideas on what to pack:
- Bible, journal/notebook, pen
- Enough money with you to get you through until you start receiving paychecks from your job. You will need to buy food, and you will want some spending money.
- A guitar or any other musical instrument if you want to help with the worship team.
- ID's needed for jobs (Some require your original Social Security Card, passport, etc.)
- Support checks made out to Cru
- Swimsuit, sandals, beach towel
- Rain gear! (Umbrella and rain jacket)
- Pair of athletic shoes, other shoes/sandals
- Bath towels, set of twin sheets, blanket/comforter
- Casual, comfy
- Jeans and shorts
- Some dress clothes for church and banquets/celebrations